uscensus banner
| MAIN | SEARCH | FEEDBACK | FAQ | GLOSSARY | COUNTRIES | MAPS | ITA HOME PAGE |

Custom Search

MAIN CATEGORIES:
1. Population
2. Vital Statistics
3. Health and Nutrition
4. Education
5. Law Enforcement, Courts
and Prisons
6. Geography and Environment
7. Parks, Recreation, Travel
8. Elections
9. State and Local Government
Finances and Employment
10. Federal Government
Finances and Employment
11. National Defense and
Veterans Affairs
12. Social Insurance and Human
Services
13. Labor Force, Employment,
and Earnings
14. Income, Expenditures, and
Wealth
15. Prices
16. Banking, Finance, and
Insurance
17. Business Enterprise
18. Communications and
Information Technology
19. Energy
20. Science and Technology
21. Transportation - Land
22. Transportation - Air
and Water
23. Agriculture
24. Natural Resources
25. Construction and Housing
26. Manufactures
27. Domestic Trade and
Services
28. Foreign Commerce and Aid
29. Outlying Areas
30. Comparative International
Statistics
31. Industrial Outlook
32. 1997 Economic Census





1285. Online Retail sales, Penetration of Total Market, and Growth Rate by Kind of Business

[In billions (14.47 represents $14,470,000,000)except percent. The size of the online market was obtained by combining the revenue of all online retailers of consequence. Based on data from 412 online retailers, 221 of which participated in a detailed survey, the research team was able to identify revenue for 86 percent of the market. Estimates were then made for the remaining 14 percent of the market]

               
Revenues Online penetration of total
(bil. dol.) market (percent) 1 Annual rate
Kind of business             of growth
2000 2000 1998-99
1998 1999 proj. 1998 1999 proj.
               
    Total 14.47 33.10 61.09 0.7 1.4 2.4 120
 
Apparel/sporting goods 0.46 1.10 2.10 0.1 0.4 0.7 130
Automotive 0.08 1.90 3.40 (NA) 0.7 1.1 2,300
Books 0.67 1.40 1.90 4.6 8.5 11.4 110
Collectibles (person to person auctions) 1.40 3.10 6.00 (NA) 2.8 4.9 120
Computer hardware/software 4.20 6.60 9.20 14.0 17.6 23.4 60
Consumer electronics 0.17 0.54 1.50 0.4 1.2 3.2 220
Event tickets 0.26 0.80 1.70 1.6 4.7 9.1 210
Financial brokerage 3.41 6.40 11.10 9.2 14.6 28.9 90
Flowers/cards/gifts 0.41 0.75 1.30 (NA) 0.9 1.5 80
Food/beverage 0.16 0.34 0.86 0.1 0.1 0.2 110
Health/beauty (NA) 0.21 0.74 (NA) 0.2 0.5 780
Home/garden 0.09 0.40 1.30 0.1 0.3 1.0 370
Multicategory (NA) 1.00 1.90 0.1 0.3 0.4 130
Music/video 0.33 1.10 2.70 1.4 4.3 9.9 230
Toys 0.07 0.36 0.79 0.2 1.2 2.4 440
Travel 2.76 7.10 14.60 1.2 2.8 5.4 160




Source: Shop.org, The Boston Consulting Group, Silver Spring, MD The State of Online Retailing (copyright).



https://allcountries.org/uscensus/1285_online_retail_sales_penetration_of_total.html

These tables are based on figures supplied by the United States Census Bureau, U.S. Department of Commerce and are subject to revision by the Census Bureau.

Copyright © 2006 Photius Coutsoukis and Information Technology Associates, all rights reserved.